What is Moodle LMS? You might be familiar with Content Management Systems (CMS) like WordPress, Drupal and Joomla. Moodle is a content management system that it is specifically designed to deliver education through online and in-class e-learning activities.
Moodle is a free Open Source Software (FOSS) web-based application created and managed by Moodle Pty Ltd. It is designed for those who would rather spend their time, money and efforts on developing effective e-learning courses. In fact, you will find that Moodle is by far less expensive than other software costing tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars year after year in licensing fees for products like Blackboard, Desire2Learn, Saba and PeopleSoft ELS.
- Need to deliver course in one or multiple languages (example: English/Français)?
- Have accessibility requirements like WCAG 2.0?
- Need a site that fits in with your organization's common look and feel brand?
- Need an affordable way to train your staff, your students, your clients, your partners or sell courses to the general public?
Moodle LMS might be the solution you have been looking for. Contact us today to learn whether Moodle is the right solution to help you improve staff efficiency, lower your cost of doing business, increase the return on your investment.
Moodle is the most popular free Open Source LMS applications available in the world today and for good reason. There are over 1,000 third party plugins available in addition to the hundreds which come included with Moodle. Themes? There are over 125 open source themes and many additional commercial themes.
Don't See What You Are Looking For?
We can help you with your specific requirements.
Do You Have A Burning Questions?
Want to learn more about using or developing in Moodle?
Free Reference Manual
Why? Because we really enjoy helping people with an interest in e-learning.
Types Of Course Activities Supported By Moodle
There are many types of Moodle course module activities. Out of the box, Moodle includes the following types of interactive activities to keep your learners interested and engaged:
There are also about 300 additional downloadable course activities and resources available for free including integration with other applications.
Moodle supports several popular course formats and integration with other systems including:
- Course types supported: Moodle courses, SCORM courses, LTI courses, xAPI formerly known as Tin Can API
- Authentication systems: CAS Server, External Database, FirstClass Server, IMAP server, LDAP Server, NNTP Server, POP3 Server, RADIUS server, Shibboleth, Facebook, Google, Github, LinkedIn, Dropbox, Windows, VKontakte, Battle.net, Yahoo, Twitter, Yandex, OpenID, UNI•Login, Windows Live ID, Azure Active Directory, Office 365, MediaWiki, WSTrust
- Web Conferencing and Collaboration: WebEx, Adobe Connect, BigBlueButton, OpenMeetings, Google Hangouts, Microsoft Teams, Zoom
- CMS and Applications: Drupal, WordPress, Joomla, Office 365, Google Apps and others
- Repositories: Wikimedia, Alfresco, Box, Dropbox, Evernote, Equella, Flickr, Google Drive, Merlot.org, Picasa Web Album, Amazon S3, OneDrive, WebDav, YouTube videos
What People Think Of Moodle?
Moodle was rated as Excellent and received the PC Magazine 2015 and 2016 Editors Choice award. "Moodle offers an entirely viable learning management service that is free, open source, and rapidly advancing."
Our involvement with the Moodle community
TNG Consulting has been working with and contributing back to the Moodle open source project and community since 2013. Our involvement includes the contribution of bug, multi-language and accessibility fixes; submiting enhancements for integration into Moodle core and French language translation into AMOS. We also review contributions made by other developers.
We regularly develop, maintain and support several of our own popular open source projects, published in Moodle.org's plugin repository, including EmailTest, Contact Form, FilterCodes and the Training theme with more plugins on the way! TNG Consulting also works with organization to enhance and create new useful projects.
Our plugins have been awarded several badges and our developers have been awarded the "Particularly helpful Moodler" badge by the Moodle community in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 - seven years in a row!
Who Uses Moodle?
Here are a few of the organizations in the region who have used Moodle (besides us of course):
- Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC)
- Shared Services Canada (SSC)
- Royal Military College of Canada (RMCC)
- Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
- Canada School of Public Service (CSPS)
- Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO)
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)
- Communications Security Establishment (CSE)
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED)
- Indigenous Services Canada (ISC/AANDC)
- Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Government of Quebec
- Canadian Council of Aviation and Aerospace
- Mental Health Commission of Canada
- The Ottawa Hospital
- Canadian Blood Services
- Canadian Red Cross
- Hôpital Montford
- Canadian National Institute of Health
- Carleton University
- University of Ottawa
- City of Ottawa
- Algonquin College
- La Cité Collégiale
- Cégep de l'Outaouais
- Université du Québec en Outaouais
- Cégep Heritage College
- Ashbury College
- BigBlueButton Inc.
- Graybridge Malkam
- Many more across Canada and around the world...
You may have also heard of these world-renown organizations who have used Moodle: Bombardier Aerospace, Canadian Standards Association (CSA), NEC, Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, Oxfam, World Vision, The Coaching Institute, Queens University, York University, Bishop's University, Concordia University, McGill University, Université du Québec à Montréal, Université de Montréal, Polytechnique Montréal.
Did You Know?
- Moodle is used in almost every country around the world.
- Over 70,000 courses have been published
- Over 80 million learners are being educated using Moodle LMS.
- Moodle is used by a variety of institutions and individuals, including:
- Primary schools, High schools, Universities
- Healthcare organisations
- Military organisations
- Oil companies
- Independent educators
- Special educators